Friday, February 15, 2008

mid-winter itch.



this is the time of year that sort-of gets to me. i call it the mid-winter itch.
hard to believe, too, that spring is next month; but, it feels like an eternity away.
it can be a bummer feeling trapped inside the house. can't really go outside for walks because it's either cold or rainy {snow is a rare sight this season}. i feel that between the pregnancy and winter-eating i'm lugging around extra pounds. this time of year is just no good for me.

funny because i used to swear up and down that fall was the season for me. i've come to the conclusion that it was the baker in me talking...i mean, almost every piece of fresh produce i love is in season - pumpkins, squash, apples. as soon as september hits, i've got thoughts of cinnamon and nutmeg running through my head. so, it's more like, fall is my favorite time of year to bake.

lately, i've been loving the summertime. fresh herbs. perfect time of year to make quick foods with ultra-fresh produce like corn and tomatoes. {love tomato and mozzarella salad}. strawberries are in season and i can throw them in my cereal. meals tend to be tastier because they can be grilled. the days are longer. you can run and walk outside without having to throw on 10 layers of clothing. evenings are perfect for walks or sitting outside, listening to crickets, watching lightning bugs and sipping wine. go to the shore, check out the local shops and breathe in the ocean air. it's really just perfect {minus 90+ degree-stagnant-with-humidity weather}.

but, one thing i will say for the winter: what a great time to scrapbook. i've been fitting it in here and there and it's really just a great feeling to see a page come to life. so, in the end, maybe the winter is good for something other than gaining weight, getting sick and staying indoors.





so, back to my last post - i was able to make valentine's day dessert. molten chocolate cakes came out good. i do swear by this recipe and will make one note - if you use a ramekin bigger than the one called for, decrease your baking time in order to ensure that the centers are soft. i didn't make a sauce but dusted the cakes with confectioners' sugar. i can promise you the end result is just as satisfying.

as for valentine's day gifts - my husband and i "gave" each other a new heating unit for the house, a couple of weeks ago. i know, it's terribly romantic. what can i say? it's the gift that keeps on giving.......heat.

3 comments:

Anne Thompson said...

I am a big fan of 'practical' gifts! Glad your dinner turned out well, I'll have to try that recipe. And your LO is adorable, I LOVE that little owl!

Kelly Noel said...

ugh. i remember those icky winter blahs from when we lived in indiana. hang in there! :)

looove the layout!

Jillian Marie said...

I am with you, I am longing for spring and summer... I am loving yor work these days, so glad you are sharing more :)